The least expensive way to move long distance is usually to use your own vehicle and do all the packing, loading, and driving yourself. However, that’s assuming you can fit all your belongings in your own vehicle. If you have more stuff than you have space, then you should compare costs between a rental truck, which you have to drive yourself, or a PODS portable container, where we do all the driving. If you’re not comfortable driving a big truck, want a flexible schedule for loading and unloading, or need storage as part of your move, then PODS delivers the best value. Learn more about how PODS compares to rental trucks or call us at (855) 571-7948 for a quick estimate for your long-distance move.
Your total long-distance moving price will be based on your location, how far you’re moving, how much stuff you need to move, and the type of moving service you choose. Here are the average long-distance moving costs for the three main types of services:
- PODS Moving and Storage Container: $1,237 to $2,999*
Pricing depends on distance, geographic location, and container size and quantity needed to hold your belongings. An estimated 20% of PODS moves fall above or below this average range based on these variables.
What’s included: Container delivery, pick-up, and transport, as well as 1-month rental to give you built-in storage time. You can keep your container at your existing or new home to allow time for loading or unloading, at a secure PODS Storage Center until you’re ready for delivery, or a combination of all three.
- What’s not included: Loading, unloading, packing, or unpacking. Referrals to trusted packing and loading professionals are available.
- How it works: We deliver your container, you take your time loading, and we pick it up and deliver it to your new home. You schedule the pick-up and delivery dates that work best for you. If your new home isn’t ready, you can keep your items in storage on a month-to-month basis at a PODS Storage Center without extra loading and unloading.
- Full-Service Move: $4,890*
Pricing depends on distance, geographic location, and how much your stuff weighs, so it’s possible your actual cost may be higher than the estimate.
- What’s included: Loading, unloading, and transport
- What’s not included: Storage, packing and unpacking, and gratuities. While packing and unpacking can be added, many movers don’t offer storage. If storage is available, the cost can be a lot higher than you would expect to pay at a self-storage facility.
- How it works: Traditional moving companies come to your home, load your stuff onto their truck, transport and unload everything into your new home. Unless you pay for an “exclusive move,” your belongings are usually consolidated with other customers’ stuff and may be loaded and unloaded a few times along the way, increasing the risk of damage. Customers are usually given a range of dates for loading and delivery based on the movers’ schedule, with little flexibility offered.
- Rental Truck: $971* plus incidentals
Pricing depends on mileage, geographic location, number of days, and truck size.
- What’s included: A truck that you pick up at their location
- What’s not included: Driving, gas, potential fees for extra mileage or late return, storage, loading, unloading, packing, unpacking, vehicle transport service, and hotel costs.
- How it works: You pick up the truck at their location, drive it to your home, load it up, and drive long distance to your new home. After you unload your belongings, you drive the truck to the dealer’s location. If you need to transport your own vehicle because you’re driving the truck, you may need to pay extra to tow your car behind the truck or for a separate vehicle transport service. If you also require storage, you will need to pay for storage unit rental as well as another potential truck rental to move your stuff into your new home.
* Averages based on estimates from PODS rates published May 2019, Moving.com, and HireAHelper.com
The best way to compare long-distance moving costs is to get estimates based on your specific moving details. It’s easy to get an estimate by phone with PODS, but full-service movers usually require an appointment for an in-home estimate.
To learn more, see PODS Moving Costs or call (855) 571-7948. We’ll answer your questions and give you a detailed, custom estimate on the spot, followed by an email with the full quote in writing. Your price will be locked in as soon as you reserve via credit card, with no payments due until 7 days prior to your first container delivery.