Long-Distance moving company
LONG-DISTANCE MOVING WITH MORE VALUE & LESS STRESS
Cost-effective and budget-friendly
No surprise fees
Take your time
Call us today to get your customized moving quote.
Long-Distance Relocation for a New Job@Model.Title.HeadingType>
They needed their stuff halfway across the country. We got it there and gave them time to get it sorted.
How PODS Works
Get It & Load It
We deliver your container. Take all the time you need to load it -- and there's no need to meet the driver, as PODS is a no-contact service. Load on your schedule, right in your driveway. Want help? We can connect you with local packing and loading companies.
Choose on-site storage and keep your container on your property as long as you like for anytime access to your stuff.
We can also pick up your loaded container and bring it to a local PODS Storage Center for safekeeping until you need it.
We'll take care of driving your portable container to your new home, whether you're moving across town or across the country.
How much does a long-distance move cost?@Model.Title.HeadingType>
The average cost of a PODS long-distance move is between $1,237-$2,999*. Pricing depends on various factors, including distance, location, and the size and number of containers needed to move to your new home. You can get the most accurate pricing for your move by requesting a personalized quote online.
* Averages based on PODS rates published September 2019. An estimated 20% of PODS moves fall above or below the average range.
What is considered a long-distance move?@Model.Title.HeadingType>
Perfect for moving state to state, or across the country
Cross-Country MOVING made easy
DOWNSIZING BEFORE YOUR MOVE
Affordable & Easy Home staging
Uncertain or complex moves
Safe, easy, and flexible moving
Your stuff won't get mixed up
No delivery address necessary
Change of plans? No worries.
Get help packing and loading
Got long-distance moving questions? We’ve got answers.@Model.Title.HeadingType>
What is the cheapest way to move long-distance?
The least expensive way to move long distance is usually to use your own vehicle and do all the packing, loading, and driving yourself. However, that’s assuming you can fit all your belongings in your own vehicle. If you have more stuff than you have space, then you should compare costs between a rental truck, which you have to drive yourself, or a PODS portable container, where we do all the driving. If you’re not comfortable driving a big truck, want a flexible schedule for loading and unloading, or need storage as part of your move, then PODS delivers the best value. Learn more about how PODS compares to rental trucks or call us at (855) 706-4758 for a quick estimate for your long-distance move.
Your total long-distance moving price will be based on your location, how far you’re moving, how much stuff you need to move, and the type of moving service you choose. Here are the average long-distance moving costs for the three main types of services:
- PODS Moving and Storage Container: $1,237 to $2,999*
Pricing depends on distance, geographic location, and container size and quantity needed to hold your belongings. An estimated 20% of PODS moves fall above or below this average range based on these variables.
- What’s included: Container delivery, pick-up, and transport, as well as 1-month rental to give you built-in storage time. You can keep your container at your existing or new home to allow time for loading or unloading, at a secure PODS Storage Center until you’re ready for delivery, or a combination of all three.
- What’s not included: Loading, unloading, packing, or unpacking. Referrals to trusted packing and loading professionals are available.
- How it works: We deliver your container, you take your time loading, and we pick it up and deliver it to your new home. You schedule the pick-up and delivery dates that work best for you. If your new home isn’t ready, you can keep your items in storage on a month-to-month basis at a PODS Storage Center without extra loading and unloading.
- Full-Service Move: $4,890*
Pricing depends on distance, geographic location, and how much your stuff weighs, so it’s possible your actual cost may be higher than the estimate.
- What’s included: Loading, unloading, and transport
- What’s not included: Storage, packing and unpacking, and gratuities. While packing and unpacking can be added, many movers don’t offer storage. If storage is available, the cost can be a lot higher than you would expect to pay at a self-storage facility.
- How it works: Traditional moving companies come to your home, load your stuff onto their truck, transport and unload everything into your new home. Unless you pay for an “exclusive move,” your belongings are usually consolidated with other customers’ stuff and may be loaded and unloaded a few times along the way, increasing the risk of damage. Customers are usually given a range of dates for loading and delivery based on the movers’ schedule, with little flexibility offered.
- Rental Truck: $971* plus incidentals
Pricing depends on mileage, geographic location, number of days, and truck size.
- What’s included: A truck that you pick up at their location
- What’s not included: Driving, gas, potential fees for extra mileage or late return, storage, loading, unloading, packing, unpacking, vehicle transport service, and hotel costs.
- How it works: You pick up the truck at their location, drive it to your home, load it up, and drive long distance to your new home. After you unload your belongings, you drive the truck to the dealer’s location. If you need to transport your own vehicle because you’re driving the truck, you may need to pay extra to tow your car behind the truck or for a separate vehicle transport service. If you also require storage, you will need to pay for storage unit rental as well as another potential truck rental to move your stuff into your new home.
* Averages based on estimates from PODS rates published May 2019, Moving.com, and HireAHelper.com
The best way to compare long-distance moving costs is to get estimates based on your specific moving details. It’s easy to get an estimate by phone with PODS, but full-service movers usually require an appointment for an in-home estimate.
To learn more, see PODS Moving Costs or call (855) 706-4758. We’ll answer your questions and give you a detailed, custom estimate on the spot, followed by an email with the full quote in writing. Your price will be locked in as soon as you reserve via credit card, with no payments due until 7 days prior to your first container delivery.
How should I pack for a long-distance move?
Your three main goals when packing for a long-distance move are to reduce the risk of damage to your belongings, optimize your space, and make it easier on yourself when you’re unpacking. Experienced long-distance movers know that prepping and organizing are the keys to achieve all three objectives.
Try our most popular resources for long-distance packing:
What else can I do to plan for a successful long-distance move?
Planning a long-distance move can be intimidating. There’s a lot to do to ensure a successful move, and then there’s the stress of moving to a new city or state on top of that. Here are several tips to set yourself on the path to a successful long-distance move:
- Research moving costs and moving companies early on. Long-distance moves are complex, and procrastinating now will cause extra stress later. Start getting quotes from moving companies months before you plan to make your move. Look up customer reviews, ask for referrals, or research the company online.
- Shop around for the best prices on moving supplies, including boxes, bubble wrap, and tape. You can find some real bargains out there, but it becomes more difficult when you have less time.
- Make travel arrangements ahead of time. Moving across the country? You’ll probably be staying in several hotels. Booking on short notice can cost you more money.
- Prepare your car or truck for a long-distance move. You may hire a vehicle transport company to ship your car, or you might end up driving it to your new home. If you plan on doing the latter, make sure to take your vehicle in for regular maintenance before hitting the road.
- Talk to your kids about the move. As stressed out as you may be about a long-distance move, such a major change can be tough on kids. Young children don’t always share their feelings of apprehension, so you should sit them down and explain the changes ahead in a way that makes them excited about moving and confident that they will stay in touch with all their favorite people and that their toys are coming with them.