Due to increased demand for our services, we’re experiencing a higher than normal call volume. If you’re a current customer, please visit MyPODS.com to schedule or update your redelivery or final container pick-up date with ease, view your estimated service window, update payment information, change an address, and view invoices.
PODS is open and committed to your safety. Learn more about our COVID-19 response.
Stay Organized With Our Moving Checklist@Model.Title.HeadingType>
Whether you’re just moving across the street or across the country, there are lots of things to keep track of when you’re relocating your life. This checklist provides smart moving tips to help you stay focused and in control.
8 Weeks before moving day
- Create your “Move File” in Google Drive to keep track of all quotes, receipts, and other important information.
- Schedule your container to arrive on a date that gives you plenty of time to load all your belongings. You may want it a few days, weeks, or even a month before your move date. You can keep your container as long as you need, so you can pack and load at your own pace, on your schedule.
- Want help with packing or loading? Start collecting quotes. We’re happy to refer you to trusted local labor providers.
- Shipping a vehicle? Start getting quotes. We can help connect you to a reputable vehicle shipper.
- Contact the local Chamber of Commerce if you’re moving to a new city and request a new resident packet.
- Begin researching your new hometown or neighborhood online.
- Create a floor plan of your new home for furniture and appliance placement.
- Schedule repairs with carpenters, painters, plumbers, roofers, and others so your new home is ready for you.
- Inventory your stuff and clear clutter. Start with the attic, basement, garage, and other storage areas.
- Decide what to sell or give away and what to keep. Prepare for the garage sale you’ll hold 3 weeks before your move or start selling items online.
- Check on potential tax deductions for your move with your accountant or the IRS.
- Gather important documents: Keep personal and family records including medical, dental, vet and school records; legal, financial, and insurance documents, birth certificates, and passports with you instead of packing them away.
- Confirm you have enough space for delivery of your container. Allow for a clearance of 12 feet wide, 15 feet high, and 40 feet long. Paved surfaces are preferred. If the surface isn’t paved, discuss your situation with a PODS representative.
- Ask your homeowner association, apartment or condo management if there are any restrictions regarding placement of portable containers or rental trucks at or near your residence.
- Check laws and permit requirements for street placement if you’re planning to place your container on the street. If a permit is required, our driver won’t be able to drop off the container without it. In most cases, a PODS representative can help determine if street placement is allowed or permits are required in your area.
- Complete the required Gypsy Moth Form if you’re moving from a gypsy moth quarantine state, especially if you’re moving to California from any other state.
- Research schools in your new neighborhood.
6 Weeks before moving day
- Order supplies to protect your items from damage during transportation. You can get boxes, tape, locks, and other supplies from PODSboxes.com. Moving blankets can be rented or purchased from most locations. Your PODS Customer Care Associate can help you with this while scheduling your delivery.
- Change banks if your current bank doesn’t have branches in your new community.
- Get referrals from your doctor and other health care providers.
- Have valuables appraised such as antiques, pieces of art, musical instruments, and other items. As we don’t recommend storing valuables in your containers, start making arrangements for their transport to your new home.
4 Weeks before moving day
- Start organizing and packing your belongings. Label all boxes as you pack to make unpacking easier. If you determine you need additional containers for your move, call us and let us know so we can deliver what you need.
- Clean as you pack to help with getting your full deposit back if you’re renting. This will save time as moving day approaches. Don’t forget neglected areas such as vents and behind appliances.
- Confirm with your insurance company that your possessions are covered during transit. Sign up for PODS’ Contents Protection Option if needed.
- Schedule utility services at your new home, including electricity, water, sewage, cable, Internet, and waste disposal.
- Schedule disconnection of utilities at your old home. Don’t forget to disconnect the day after you move and connect the day before you arrive at your new home. If you have any “final month” deposits be sure to request your refund.
- File a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service and pick up the USPS Mover’s Guide at your local post office.
- Purchase locks for your new home or arrange to have them installed upon moving in.
- Visit PODS.com/loading to watch our video and get important tips on packing and loading.
- Arrange for cleaning and repairs if needed at your old home.
- Make travel plans if needed for your move.
- Begin using up frozen foods and cleaning supplies that can’t be moved.
- Make a list of friends, relatives, and businesses to notify.
3 Weeks before moving day
- Hold a garage sale or sell items online through websites such as eBay or Letgo. Donate leftover items to charities.
- Properly dispose of items that you can’t move or throw out, such as chemicals, pesticides, flammable liquids, and batteries. Consult your PODS Rental Agreement for a full list of items that are prohibited in PODS containers.
- Cancel your newspaper delivery service.
- Change the address of your magazine subscriptions.
2 Weeks before moving
- Service your car in preparation for the move. Be sure not to leave this until the last minute in case repairs are needed.
- Return borrowed items such as library books, and retrieve items that you’ve lent to others.
- Prepare vehicle registrations for transfer if you are moving to another state.
- Transfer prescriptions and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications during your move.
- Assemble an information folder to leave for the new owner of your home.
- Order new checks so they’re ready by moving day.
1 Week before moving day
- Send change-of-address cards to everyone who will need to contact you at your new address.
- Pack a bag of essentials with your checkbook, credit cards, identification, flashlight, keys, and mobile phone charger. If you’re moving long-distance, pack toiletries, paper plates and cups, towels, a travel alarm clock, bottled water, a first aid kit, and games for the kids.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- Keep any laptops and tablet computers with you for security and easy access. They might come in handy, too, if it takes a few days to set up your TV.
The day before moving day
- Finish loading your container. You should receive an automated call from PODS after 6 pm the night before pick-up with your 3-hour service window for pick-up.
- Confirm your container delivery and pick-up dates and address at your new home by logging into your account. Make sure you have the keys to your container lock in your possession.
- Get cash for your travel expenses.
- Empty and close your safe deposit box.
- Drain power equipment of oil and gas.
- Confirm your travel reservations if necessary.
- Empty, defrost, and clean your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before moving day.
- Vacuum and dispose of any remaining trash.
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances.
- Set aside any items that will travel separately with you.
- Pack a cooler with drinks and snacks if you’re driving to a new city.
- Pack a box of items you’ll need right away at your new home and label it “load last.” Place this box closest to the container door so you can access it right away.
- Pack pet supplies if pets are traveling with you, including a leash, water bowl, carrier, food and medications.
- Note your utility readings. Ensure your utilities are connected at your new home.
- Leave a note with your contact information in the house so the new residents can forward any stray mail or items left behind.
- Inform a friend or family member of your moving schedule and contact information in case of an emergency or unexpected event.
- Check every room, cabinet, closet, and attic one last time to confirm everything is loaded.
- Check your belongings while unloading your container into your new home, or as soon as possible, to note any damaged items.
The PODS Moving and Storage Advantage@Model.Title.HeadingType>
Did you know that PODS does all the driving for local and cross-country moves? No renting or driving a humongous truck. No astronomical fuel costs. Less stress. Hooray!
Related Moving Resources
Get boxes, tape, blankets, bubble wrap, and everything else you need delivered to your door.
Here's your step-by-step guide to tackling that storage project.