Take advantage of our limited time offer. Enter promo code 25NOW to save up to 25%. See offer details.
Cross Border Moving

Cross-border moving made easier

For many years our experts have given personal support to people moving across the border to Canada.

PODS is your moving and storage expert for cross-border moves

Whether you’re moving back home or starting your next big adventure, PODS can help every step of the way. We’ll help you navigate the process and provide you with all the resources you’ll need for a smoother cross-border move. 

To make things even easier, PODS is licensed by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to operate bonded storage centers in all our markets in Canada. That means cross-border containers are allowed to cross the border directly and complete the clearing process at PODS facilities. You’ll have peace of mind knowing your container is stored safely in our secure storage center and not at a third-party location.

Get your customized moving quote. 

Move to Canada with PODS in 10 easy steps

  1. Call or chat with PODS to get a free quote and book your move.
  2. We’ll deliver your empty container to your house. We’ve got containers for any size move.
  3. Load the container at your own pace, taking as much time as you need.
  4. Complete your rental agreement and all the required paperwork listed below before your pickup date. (We cannot pick up your container until all documentation has been submitted.)
  5. Schedule a time for us to come pick up your container.
  6. Make sure to travel to Canada before your container is shipped and stay in Canada until it arrives.
  7. PODS picks up your container and takes care of the driving*.
  8. We’ll contact you when the container arrives in Canada so you can meet us at our CBSA-licensed, bonded facility. 
  9. Visit the nearest CBSA office to clear customs.
  10. That’s it! You’ve officially moved to Canada.

Check out our cross-border FAQs here

PODS Canada

Find all the required documents. Right here.

PODS won’t just provide the container to help you organize your stuff. We’re here to help you find all the documentation you’ll need to complete before your move to Canada.

Check out our guide, Required forms and key information for moves to Canada.

Download Guide (PDF)

What to know before you pack

Bringing goods into Canada
Different goods from your household may require you to pay duties on them. Learn more from the Government of Canada.
Importing a vehicle to Canada
Before importing your car into Canada, you need to ensure it is admissible. Get more info from Transport Canada.
Moving pets to Canada
If you’re planning on bringing your animal companions with you, make sure to get the right paperwork in place. Get more details from the Government of Canada.
PODS Moving
Moving mattresses into Canada
Before you can bring your mattress across the border, you’ll need to obtain a certificate verifying it’s been cleaned and fumigated. Learn more from the CBSA.
Bringing alcohol and tobacco into Canada
Alcohol and tobacco cannot be shipped in a PODS container to Canada. They must travel with an individual following these regulations from the CBSA.
Bringing firearms into Canada
Firearms cannot be shipped in a PODS container to Canada. You’ll need to follow these steps from the RCMP to bring a firearm into Canada.
Restricted items
Some items, like flammables, chemicals, and explosives, can’t be brought into Canada. Here’s the full list of items from the CBSA to leave behind.
moving & storage truck at your home

Support without borders

With PODS, you get real people offering real support every step of the way. Our moving and storage experts work with you to create a personalized experience and adapt to any changes you might need to make. Take your time packing and loading your stuff into your container, and rest assured that unlike with traditional movers, there’s no unloading/reloading needed, so no one else will handle your stuff along the way. 

  • Flexible scheduling: We fit your plans with no penalties for rescheduling.
  • Help with the heavy lifting: We take care of the driving*, and can connect you with local packing and loading pros.
  • Cross-border experts: We have many years’ experience moving people to the U.S.

For even more customization, you can mix and match containers to fit your move.

We’ve got containers to fit your moving and storage needs

16 foot moving container

Large Container16-Foot

  • Ideal for a 2-bedroom home, or up to 1,200 sq. ft.
  • About the length of a standard parking spot
  • Comparable to a 10'x15' storage unit or a 20' truck
  • Available for moving and storage needs
12 foot storage container

Medium Container12-Foot

  • Perfect for a 1-bedroom home, or a 500-800 sq. ft. space
  • Great for packing away things from 2 or 3 rooms
  • Compare to a 10'x10' storage unit or 15' truck
  • Available for storage only
PODS portable storage container

Small Container8-Foot

  • Great for a studio or room of 500 sq. ft. or less
  • A popular choice for college students
  • Comparable to a 5'x10' storage unit or 10' truck
  • Available for moving and storage needs
arrow icon
arrow icon

See what real cross-border customers have to say

Xuhui Y.Romulus, MI

The service rep (Bob) has excellent customer service/care skills and he made the whole process so easy and worry-free.

Kacy C.Milpitas, CA

PODS makes everything very easy, especially when you call in.

Mary T.West Palm Beach, FL

My customer service representative helped me from beginning to end. Answered all of my questions and was very patient with me.
arrow icon
arrow icon

Canada cross-border bonded storage centers & nearest CBSA office

Toronto Bonded/Receiving Storage Center

Toronto Bonded/Receiving Facility Nearest CBSA Location

Mississauga, ON Bonded
1680 Drew Road
Mississauga, ON L5S 1J6


5425 Dixie Road
Mississauga, ON L4W 1E6



Vancouver Bonded/Receiving Storage Center

Vancouver Bonded/Receiving Facility Nearest CBSA Location

Surrey, BC Bonded
11850 – 103A Avenue
Surrey, BC V3V 3V7


412 – 1611 Main Street
Vancouver, BC V6A 2W5



Ottawa Bonded/Receiving Storage Center

Ottawa Bonded/Receiving Facility Nearest CBSA Location

Ottawa Storage Center
2750 Sheffield Road, Unit #140
Ottawa, ON K1B 3V9


140 Thad Johnson Private
Ottawa, ON K1V 0R4



Winnipeg Bonded/Receiving Storage Center

Winnipeg Bonded/Receiving Facility Nearest CBSA Location

Winnipeg Storage Center
1725 Inkster Blvd., Unit C
Winnipeg, MB R2X 1R3


1817 – 1821 Wellington Ave.
Winnipeg, MB R3H 0G4



Halifax Bonded/Receiving Storage Center

Halifax Bonded/Receiving Facility Nearest CBSA Location

Halifax Storage Center
65 Gloria McClusky Ave.
Dartmouth, NS B3B 2Z3


263 Susie Lake Crescent
Halifax, NS B3S 1C1



Montreal Bonded/Receiving Storage Center

Montreal Bonded/Receiving Facility Nearest CBSA Location

Montreal Storage Center
2575 Rue Debray
Laval, QC H7S 2J4


400 Pl. d’Youville
Montreal, QC H2Y 2C2


Edmonton Bonded/Receiving Storage Center

Edmonton Bonded/Receiving  Facility Nearest CBSA Location

18170 109th Ave. N.W.
Edmonton, AB T5S 1V4


100 – 1727 35 Ave. E.
Edmonton International Airport
Edmonton, AB T9E 0V6


Calgary Bonded/Receiving Storage Center

Calgary Bonded/Receiving Facility: Nearest CBSA Location

5555 69th Ave S.E. 
Calgary, AB T2C 4Y7 


175 Aero Way NE, Unit 162
Calgary, AB T2E 6K2 


Feel at home in Canada

PODS Canada

Immigrating to Canada

Learn from the Canadian government how to immigrate to Canada and what to expect when you get there.


More info from the Government of Canada

PODS Canada

Preparing for life in Canada

Set yourself up for success with tips from the Canadian government on topics like finding a job, Canadian culture, and popular sports.


More info from the Government of Canada

PODS Canada

Choosing where to live in Canada

Let the Canadian government show you the best places to live, from large cities to small towns.


More info from the Government of Canada

arrow icon
arrow icon

Have questions? We have answers.

Is there any Canadian customs paperwork that I need to complete?

Yes. For any container traveling to Canada, you must complete all customs forms and return them to PODS as soon as possible. Your container cannot be scheduled for shipment until all paperwork is signed, returned, and confirmed complete by our logistics team.

Where do I submit my documentation?

Submission and follow-up communication are conducted via email through PODS. At time of booking, an email will be sent with additional information on next steps. Please submit each completed form and travel document separately in PDF format to SpecialServicesPPW@pods.com.

Do I need travel documentation to move a container to Canada?

Yes. You and any persons moving to Canada together must each have the appropriate status in Canada and be able to show proof.

Do I have to meet the driver at the border?

You do not have to meet the driver at the border, but you must have arrived in Canada prior to the shipping of the container and remain in Canada until the container arrives.

Failure to arrive in Canada prior to the container’s arrival at the border could result in your shipment being returned to the United States.

Do I have to clear the container through customs?

Yes. Because PODS bonded facilities are licensed by the CBSA, PODS containers can be shipped directly to the PODS facility in Canada and not go to a third party. PODS will contact you when the container has arrived. The PODS account holder is required to go in person to a CBSA office to clear customs and must bring ID, copies of the original paperwork, and applicable travel documents. The account holder must be the same person who is clearing customs and moving to Canada.

I’m moving belongings to my vacation home in Canada. Do I have to complete the same forms?

Yes. It is possible to move a container to Canada for a vacation home. In most situations, a customer must show proof of property ownership in Canada and all required customs forms. 
For additional assistance regarding this particular need, please give us a call at (877) 770-7637.

I have a business that needs to ship goods to a customer. Can we use your service?

No. PODS international transport is only for residential use for personal belongings. We are unable to offer commercial use at this time.

Do I have to create a list of contents for Canada customs?

Yes. You must complete a list of the contents of the container with as much detail as possible. If you have more than one container, you must create separate lists.

Do I have to pay duties and taxes?

The assessment of any duties and taxes is between the customer and the Canada Border Services Agency. PODS is not involved in that transaction.

Where can I get the required customs forms?

A link to all required forms will be emailed to the customer one business day after the order is placed.

If the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) requests to search the container, will the driver need a key, or will the lock be cut?

CBSA will cut the lock, and after the inspection, they will lock the container with a special metal seal.

What happens if my container is selected for inspection?

For U.S.-to-Canada moves, the driver will proceed to the bonded storage center as planned, and you will be contacted with the details of the inspection. Only CBSA officers are present at the inspection.

I am trying to ship personal belongings of someone who is not directly involved in the international move. Can they be transported with my belongings?

Yes. As long as everyone is moving together and has proof of legal status in Canada, the belongings can be transported together. Please keep in mind that one person needs to take responsibility for the items, and that is the person who needs to be the PODS account holder. The method of payment should match the PODS account holder’s name as well.

I am going to need multiple containers. Can PODS offer multiple containers for international use?

Yes. We can ship multiple containers for you. However, they all must be transported together. We are unable to ship containers separately at later dates.

I have a visa or passport. Is this acceptable?

Yes. Your visa must be valid for a minimum of one year from the ship date. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of six months from the ship date.

My parent recently passed away. Can I ship their goods from the U.S. to Canada?

Yes, upon verification of the will naming you as the inheritor, and other required documentation.

I moved my goods from a country outside of North America to the U.S. or Canada and am trying to move to the U.S. or Canada. Can I do it?

No, your belongings must have originated in the origination country, not from a country outside of the U.S. or Canada.

Can I ship firearms?

Firearms cannot be shipped in a PODS container. For information regarding importing firearms into Canada, click here.

Can I ship alcohol or tobacco?

Alcohol and tobacco cannot be shipped in a PODS container.

My spouse and I are moving to Canada for employment. Can we use your services?

Yes. We would need all persons involved in the move to provide proof of Canadian citizenship or a work permit or visa that is valid for at least one year from the move date.

My spouse and I would like to move to Canada from the U.S. My spouse is waiting for a visa for entry to Canada. May we use your services?

We cannot transport the container internationally until a visa (valid for one year or more) is submitted to our logistics team for confirmation. You may, however, schedule an empty container for initial delivery and schedule the filled container for delivery to the PODS Storage Center in the U.S.

When the container crosses into Canada, will my PODS monthly rental amount change?

Yes. At time of crossing, the monthly rental currency type will change to Canadian dollars. The unused number of days in your current month will be adjusted accordingly, and any future months will be charged in full in the new currency. 

Please keep in mind that the long-distance transportation invoice or any other charges moving forward will be in Canadian dollars.


How long will it take for PODS to move my container internationally?

While we try to make your move as seamless as possible, please be advised that a delay may occur, as the Canada Border Services Agency has increased its border inspections and requirements. 

We encourage you to be patient in this matter. We will contact you immediately in the event of a delay. Transit duration is not guaranteed.

Let's Get Started

storage and moving truck

Choose the service you need

Moving Boxes

Portable Moving and Storage Near You