A MOVING CHECKLIST TO KEEP YOUR MOVE ORGANIZED AND ON TRACK
Whether you’re moving out of state and need tips on how to move across the country, or just moving across the street, there are lots of things to keep track of when you’re relocating your life. This moving checklist helps local and cross country movers alike stay focused and in control.Download your Moving Checklist here.
MOVING CHECKLIST FOR 8 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING DAY
- Create your “Move File” to keep track of all quotes, receipts, and other important information.
- Make sure your PODS moving container is scheduled to arrive at a date that gives you enough time to load all your belongings. You may want to have it as early as a few days, weeks, or a month before your move date. You can keep your PODS container for as long as you need, so you can pack and load at your own pace and on your schedule.
- If you need labor help, start collecting quotes from packing and loading companies. We’re happy to refer you to a trusted local labor provider.
- If you plan to ship your vehicles, start getting quotes from vehicle shipping companies. Again, we can help connect you to a reputable vehicle shipper.
- Contact the local Chamber of Commerce if you’re moving to another state and request a new resident packet.
- Begin researching your new hometown or neighborhood online.
- Create a floor plan of your new home for furniture and appliance placement.
- If necessary, schedule work by carpenters, painters, plumbers, roofers, and others so your new home is ready when you move in.
- Make an inventory of your household items and begin removing clutter. Start with the attic, basement, garage, and other storage areas.
- Start preparing for the garage sale you will hold 3 weeks before your move.
- Check with your accountant or the IRS for possible tax deductions for your move.
- Gather your personal and family records including medical, dental, veterinary and school records, legal and financial documents, birth certificates, passports, and insurance documents to keep with you.
- Check to ensure that you have enough space for delivery of your PODS container. The PODS delivery system requires a clearance of 12 feet in width, 15 feet in height, and 26 feet in length. Paved surfaces are preferred. If the surface is not paved, discuss your situation with a PODS representative.
- Check out if your homeowner association, apartment or condo complex have any restrictions regarding the placement of moving trucks or portable containers on, or near, your residence.
- If you’re considering street placement, check with local authorities to see if it’s allowed or if a permit is required. If one is required, the PODS driver will not be able to drop off the container without it. In most cases, your PODS representative can help determine if street placement is allowed or permits are required in your area.
- Be sure to fill out the required Gypsy Moth Form if you are moving from a gypsy moth quarantine state, especially if you are moving to California from any other state.
MOVING CHECKLIST FOr 6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Order supplies such as boxes and tape from PODSboxes.com to protect your items from damage during transportation. Moving blankets can be rented or purchased from most locations. Your PODS Customer Care Associate can help you with this while scheduling your container for delivery.
- Change banks if your current bank does not have branches in your new community.
- Ask your doctor and other health care providers for referrals.
- Have your antiques, pieces of art, musical instruments, and other valuables appraised. As we do not recommend storing valuables in PODS containers, start making arrangements for their transport to your new home.
MOVING CHECKLIST FOR 4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Start organizing and packing your belongings. Make sure to label all of your moving boxes as you pack them to make the unpacking process much smoother. If you determine you need additional PODS containers for your move, give us a call and let us know so we can drop off the number of containers you need.
- If you are renting, start cleaning as you pack so that you don’t have such an overwhelming task when moving day comes around. Remember, if you want to get your full deposit back, you will need to clean areas of your house that are typically ignored, such as vents and behind appliances such as the fridge and stove.
- Check with your insurance company to confirm your possessions are covered during transit. Sign up for PODS’ Contents Protection Option if needed.
- Schedule connection of utility services at your new home, including electricity, water, sewage, cable, Internet, telephone, and waste disposal services.
- Schedule the disconnection of utility services at your old home. Don’t forget to disconnect the day after you move and connect the day before you arrive at your new home. If you have any “final month” deposits with services such as the electric company, be sure to request your refund.
- File a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service and pick up USPS Mover’s Guide at your local post office.
- Purchase locks for your new home or arrange to have them installed upon moving in.
- Visit PODS.com/loading to watch our video on packing and loading. We have some very useful tips!
- Arrange for cleaning and repairs at your home.
- Make any necessary travel plans for your move.
- Begin using up frozen foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- Make a list of your friends, relatives, and businesses to notify.
MOVING CHECKLIST FOR 3 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Hold your moving sale or sell items online through websites such as eBay or letgo. Donate leftover items to charities.
- Properly dispose of items that you can’t move or throw out, such as chemicals, pesticides, flammable liquids, and batteries.
- Cancel your newspaper delivery service.
- Change the address of your magazine subscriptions.
MOVING CHECKLIST FOR 2 Weeks Before Moving
- Service your car in preparation for the move.
- Return any borrowed items such as library books, and retrieve items that you’ve lent to others.
- Prepare vehicle registrations for transfer if you are moving from state to state.
- Transfer all your prescriptions and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications during your move.
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
- Order new checks so they’re ready by moving day.
MOVING CHECKLIST FOR 1 Week Before Moving Day
- Send change-of-address cards to everyone who will need to contact you at your new address.
- Pack a bag with your checkbook, credit cards, identification, flashlight, keys, and mobile phone charger. If you’re moving long-distance, pack toiletries, paper plates and cups, towels, a travel alarm clock, bottled water, a first aid kit, and games for the kids as well.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- If you have a tablet computer, keep it with you as you may not get around to unpacking and connecting that large-screen TV for a few days.
MOVING CHECKLIST FOR The Day Before Moving Day
- Finish loading your PODS container. You should receive an automated call from PODS informing you of your estimated pick-up time.
- Confirm your PODS container pickup, delivery date, and address at your new home by logging into your account at PODS.com. Make sure your PODS container keys are in your possession.
- Get enough cash for your travel expenses.
- Empty and close your safe deposit box.
- Drain your power equipment of oil and gas.
- Confirm your travel reservations if necessary.
- Empty, defrost, and clean your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before moving day.
- Vacuum and make arrangements for disposing of any remaining trash.
- Disconnect and prepare your major appliances for moving.
- Set aside any items that will travel separately with you.
- Pack a cooler with drinks and snacks if you’re driving to a new city.
- Pack a box of items that you will need right away at your new home and label this box “load last.” Place this box closest to the PODS container door so that you can access it right away.
- If pets are traveling with you, make sure you have an adequate supply of food, medications, leashes, a travel cage, and a water dish packed in the car.
Moving Day Checklist
- Take note of your utility readings. Ensure your utilities have been connected at your new home.
- Leave a note with your contact information in the house so that the new residents can forward any stray mail or items left behind.
- Keep a friend or family member informed of your moving schedule and contact information in case of an emergency or unexpected event.
- Check every room, cabinet, closet, and attic one last time before deciding everything is loaded.
- When unloading your container into your new home, check your possessions carefully as soon as possible and note any damaged items.
The PODS Advantage
Did you know that PODS does all the driving for local and cross-country moves? No renting or driving a humongous truck. No astronomical fuel costs. No stress. Hooray!
Get boxes, tape, blankets, bubble wrap, and everything else you need delivered to your door.
Use this storage checklist to help organize and simplify your move.