Packing and Loading tips
Maximize container space. Minimize damage to your stuff.
The biggest of the bunch, our 16' moving and storage container has space for everything, anything, and even that thing.
Watch and Learn
Get all the tips you need to pack and load like a pro. You can even download a printable list of them to keep with you.
- As you’re packing, take a few extra minutes to write an inventory of your items. If you have more than one container or are using a PODS container in combination with a rental truck, be sure to document what goes where.
- Pack your valuables and essentials separately and plan on keeping these items with you.
- Label boxes to make unloading easy.
- Put heavy items in smaller boxes for easier lifting. Lightweight items can go in larger boxes.
- Pack as much as you can into boxes. This will provide greater protection for your belongings and will make loading your PODS container easier.
- Moving supplies can be conveniently purchased at PODSBoxes.com and delivered to your door with fast, free shipping.
- Use picture boxes and bubble wrap when packing pictures and mirrors. Flat-screen TV boxes are also available for your large-screen TVs. Use special care when positioning these items in the PODS container.
- Lamps and other large items can be bubble-wrapped and placed in boxes. Remove light bulbs and box lamp shades separately.
- Reinforce the bottom of all boxes with tape. Fill each box to its capacity, using packing paper or fillers to eliminate empty spaces. The top and sides of each box shouldn't bulge, nor should they cave in when closed.
PREPPING FURNITURE & APPLIANCES
- Use moving blankets to protect furniture. Visit PODSBoxes.com or contact a PODS Customer Care Associate to purchase or rent moving blankets
- Use moving bands (giant rubber bands) or shrink wrap to keep the moving blanket in position. These options are much easier to remove than tape.
- Wrap couches, mattresses, and other “soft” furniture with stretch wrap or plastic mattress bags.
- Cover appliances with cardboard or moving blankets.
- Use mattress covers to protect your mattress.
- To help prevent mold, mildew, and odors inside the container, consider using moisture absorbers. These can be purchased at PODSBoxes.com or your local home improvement store.
- Do not load all your heavy items first. Distribute the weight of your contents evenly throughout the container. Use all available space inside the PODS container to pack your belongings. This includes wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling.
- Place heavy items on the bottom, lighter items on the top.
- Turn couches on end.
- Mix small items with larger items to fill spaces. A snugly packed container will minimize shifting during transport. Don't save all your boxes for the end.
- Cover items that could be damaged by sunlight if you will be keeping your container stored outside your home for more than a few weeks.
- Use rope or straps to secure your belongings at regular intervals as you load the PODS container.
- In the last section, use a mattress, a large sheet of cardboard, or four extra-large, flattened boxes that are taped together to create a barrier that will keep objects from falling against the door during transit. This will help prevent the door from jamming.
- Secure your PODS container with a lock when it is unattended. Locks can be purchased through a PODS Customer Care Associate when booking your container.
Need Moving Supplies?
Get boxes, tape, blankets, bubble wrap, and everything else you need delivered to your door.
Use this moving checklist to help organize and simplify your move.
Contents Protection FAQs
Got questions about PODS Contents Protection options? We've got answers for you.