Get Stuff Out of your Way and out of harm's way
- Make an inventory list of everything you’ll be storing in your container.
- Collect packing materials, towels, and moving blankets to help protect your stuff from damage. You can buy or rent moving blankets from most PODS Storage Centers. You can also buy them online at www.PODSBoxes.com for delivery to your door. Ask your PODS Customer Care Associate about moving blankets when you schedule your container for delivery.
- You can get packing supplies like boxes and tape from www.PODSBoxes.com or your local hardware store.
- Make sure you don’t store any food, perishable items, toxins, or flammables. For a list of prohibited items, review section IV, “Limits on Use,” of your PODS Rental Agreement.
- Consider PODS’ Contents Protection option and consult your homeowners insurance plan to ensure your items are covered from damage or loss.
Pro Packing Tips
- Fill empty spaces in boxes with packing paper or peanuts to keep items from shifting and to protect boxes from getting damaged when they’re stacked.
- Keep like items together.
- Label boxes on all sides.
- Clear, plastic containers are great for storage as they allow you to see the
- Before storing, apply furniture oil to wooden pieces for added protection, and be sure to give them time to dry before wrapping them.
- Disassemble larger items such as tables, bed frames, etc., to maximize space.
- Bag and label all hardware.
- When stacking furniture, use moving blankets between pieces to prevent scratching. Use tape over the blankets to hold them in place, but never apply tape directly to your furniture.
- To save yourself time and hassle down the road, take pictures of connections before disconnecting your electronic devices.
- It’s best to store electronics in their original boxes. If their original packaging isn’t available, pack items separately in bubble wrap, cushion foam, or wadded-up newspaper.
- Label corresponding cords and components with color-coded stickers.
- Give appliances a good cleaning prior to storing.
- Leave doors slightly open to prevent mildew.
- Protect appliances with moving blankets. Use tape to hold them in place, but don’t apply tape directly to your appliances, as it may ruin the finish.
Pictures and Mirrors
- Wrap small pictures and pack them vertically in boxes.
- For larger frames, use moving boxes specially designed for pictures.
- Always store mirrors and framed pieces vertically, not flat.
Crystal, China, and Glassware
- Use specialty boxes designed with dividers for these items.
- Wrap each piece with paper or foam.
- Label these boxes “FRAGILE.”
Clothing, Curtains, and Drapes
- To save time, keep clothes on their hangers and bind them with zip ties into easy-to-manage groups. Pack them in garment bags or create your own with an upside-down garbage bag.
- Wardrobe boxes are also a convenient way to pack clothes and can offer additional protection.
- Hang clothes on non-rusting hangers.
- Save space by using dresser drawers to store smaller items.
- If you’re storing wool items, use cedar chips or mothballs to prevent moth damage.
Storing Your Container on Your Property
- Make sure to get any required permits if you need them.
- If you’re storing in a deed-restricted community, review your homeowner association guidelines for container placement.
- Remember to follow local ordinances when storing your container on the street.
- Check out PODS’ packing and loading instructions to help you maximize container space and minimize damage to your stuff while it’s in storage.
- If there’s stuff you’ll need easy access to while storing, pack them last. Load items you won’t need first.
- Whenever possible, pack furniture vertically to conserve space.
- Pack lighter boxes on top of heavier ones.
- Create a diagram indicating how you packed your PODS container to make items easier to access and unload.
We do Moving, Too!
Did you know that with our huge, nationwide network, PODS can move your container across town or across the country?
Learn to pack and load your PODS container like a pro with these helpful tips.