8 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Get a PODS quote (visit pods.com or call 800-776-7637).
- Create a “Move File” to keep track of all your estimates, receipts and other important information.
- Contact your new municipality to request new resident and community information.
- Begin researching your new hometown online. The Internet is a great resource for local online newspapers and community guides.
- Create a floor plan of your new home for furniture and appliance placement.
- Prepare designs for your new home by contacting carpenters, painters, plumbers, roofers and other tradesmen so your new home is ready when you move in.
- Make an inventory of your household goods and begin to remove clutter (start with the attic, basement, garage and other storage areas).
- Prepare to have a moving sale for Week 3.
- Check with Revenue Canada or your accountant for possible tax deductions including moving expenses.
6 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Subscribe to a paper in your new hometown.
- Open a bank account if your current bank does not have branches in your new community.
- Ask your doctor and the Canada Health Agency for referrals and obtain all medical records.
- Have antiques, pieces of art, musical instruments and other valuables appraised.
- Begin using frozen foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- Make a list of friends, relatives and businesses to notify of your move.
4 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Schedule delivery of your PODS containers (visit pods.com or call 800-776-7637).
- Check with your insurance company to confirm your possessions are covered during transit. Consider the amount of PODS Contents Protection you may wish to purchase. More information.
- Schedule connection of utility services at your new home, including hydro, water, sewage, cable, Internet, telephone and trash disposal service.
- Schedule the disconnection of utility services at your old home. Don’t forget to disconnect the day after you move and connect the day before you arrive at your new home. If you have any “final month” deposits with services such as the electric company, don’t forget to request your refund.
- File a change of address with Canada Post or go online at http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/receive/coapermanent.jsf.
- Purchase locks for your new home or arrange to have them installed upon moving in.
- Review PODS packing tips.
- Arrange for cleaning and repair of furniture, carpeting and drapes.
- Make any necessary travel plans for your move.
- Gather personal and family records including medical and dental, veterinary and school records, legal and financial documents, birth certificates, passports and insurance documents.
3 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Hold your moving sale or sell online via eBay. Donate leftover items to charities.
- Properly dispose of items that cannot be moved or thrown out such as chemicals, pesticides, flammable liquids and batteries.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Change the address of your current magazine subscriptions.
2 WEEKS before Moving Day
- Service your car in preparation of the move.
- Return any borrowed items such as library books, and retrieve all borrowed items.
- Prepare auto registrations for transfer if you are moving to another province.
- Transfer all prescriptions and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications.
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your home.
- Order new cheques so they’re ready by moving day.
1 WEEK before Moving Day
- Send change-of-address cards to everyone who will need to contact you.
- Assemble a backpack with your checkbook, credit cards, phone records, identification, flashlight, keys, mobile phone charger, small camera, toiletries, paper plates and cups, towels, travel alarm clock, bottled water, first aid kit and games for the kids.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- Pack a portable TV/stereo as you may not get around to unpacking and connecting that big screen TV for a few days.
- Make child care arrangements for moving day.
THE DAY before Moving Day
- Confirm your PODS container pickup, delivery date and address at your new home (pods.com or 800-776-7637).
- Make sure your PODS container padlock keys are in your possession.
- Transfer your bank account if necessary.
- Have an adequate amount of cash for any travel expenses you cannot pay for with a credit card.
- Empty and close your safety deposit box.
- Drain power equipment of oil and gas.
- Confirm any travel reservations.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before moving day. Use the empty space to store household items.
- Vacuum and make arrangements for disposing of any remaining trash.
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances. Separate anything that will travel in your car.
- Pack a cooler with drinks and snacks if you are traveling by car.
- Pack a box of items that you will need right away at your new home and label this box “load last.” Place closest to the PODS container door so that you can access it right away.
- Check every room, cabinet, closet and attic one last time before deciding everything is loaded.
- Pets. If traveling with you, make sure you have an adequate supply of food, medications, leashes, travel cage and water dish packed in the car.
- Take note of your utility readings.
- Leave a note with your contact information in the house so that the new residents can forward any items left behind and forward any stray mail.
- Keep a friend or family member informed of your moving schedule and contact information in case of an emergency or unforeseen event.
- Be sure someone is at your new home when your PODS container is delivered.
- Ensure your utilities have been connected.
- Check your possessions carefully as soon as possible and note any damaged items.