Cross Country Moving made easy with PODS
Long distance or cross country moving requires advance planning and preparation and generally begins eight weeks prior to your move date.
- With PODS you decide how long to keep the container so you can plan to have your PODS®moving container delivered a few days, weeks or even a month prior to your pick up date to allow adequate time to load all your belongings. There’s no need to worry about unexpected charges, with PODS you’ll know the cost of your move upfront.
- Make sure to obtain copies of your personal records and ask for referrals for your new residence.
- You’ll want to start organizing and packing your belongings about 6 weeks prior to your move date. It’s a good idea to create an inventory list and label all boxes to make unpacking as simple and efficient as possible. By beginning the packing process early you will be able to determine if additional PODS® containers are necessary.
- Identify and keep important documents and records such as insurance policies, birth certificates, passports, and any small valuables with you prior to and during your move.
- If your relocation is being paid for by your employer, be sure you understand which expenses they are responsible for and which ones you are responsible for. If you are making the payments upfront make sure to keep and make copies of all recipes for reimbursement. Also, be sure to check with Revenue Canada to see which expenses are tax deductible.
- Arrange to have your utilities (water, hydro, gas, TV) transferred or disconnected. It’s best to have this taken care of four weeks prior to your move.
- As you begin packing for your cross country move, it’s a good idea to start cleaning as well. If you are renting, you will need to leave the place perfectly clean in order to get your full deposit back.
- Two weeks prior to your move date, you should complete a change of address form at your nearest Canada Post or go online at https://ssl.postescanada-canadapost.ca/smartmoves/default-e.aspx.
- Now is a good time to start transferring bank accounts.
- If you plan to drive your car across the country, it may be a good time to have your car serviced.
- One week prior to your move date, you should cancel any local memberships and drain the gas and oil for your outdoor equipment (lawn mowers and snow blowers).
- You will want to finish loading your PODS® container a few days before the move. You will receive an automated call from PODS prior to you pick up informing you of what time to expect our driver.
Once you and your PODS® container have arrived safely at your new home, you can take as long as you need to unpack your belongings.