- Create an inventory list of all items.
- Use Moving Blankets to protect your items from damage during storage. Moving blankets can be rented or purchased from most locations. Discuss with your call center agent while scheduling your container for delivery. Moving blankets and other supplies can also be purchased by visiting podsboxes.com.
- Order packing supplies such as boxes and tape from podsboxes.com.
- Review PODS packing & loading instructions at pods.com/loading
- Label boxes or containers on all sides.
- Consider clear plastic containers. Clear plastic containers allow you to see contents.
- Pack lighter boxes on top of heavier ones.
- Do not store any toxins or flammables.
- Do not store any food items.
- Always secure a contents protection program.
- Apply furniture oil to wooden pieces before storing for added protection.
- Disassemble larger items such as tables, bed frames, etc. to save space.
- Put all hardware in bags and label accordingly.
- Use paper pads when stacking furniture to prevent scratching.
- Original boxes for electronics are best. Otherwise packing items separately in bubble wrap, cushion foam, and even wadded up newspaper will help.
- Label corresponding cords and components by using color coded stickers.
- Clean appliances well prior to storing.
- Leave doors opened slightly, to prevent mildew.
- Protect appliance from damage with moving blankets.
Pictures and Mirrors
- Wrap pictures that are small and stand them on end in boxes.
- For larger ones, buy special picture moving boxes.
- Always store mirrors or framed pieces on end, not flat.
Crystal, China, and Glassware
- Buy boxes designed for this with dividers.
- Wrap each item with paper or foam.
- Label these boxes as FRAGILE.
Clothing, Curtains, Drapes
- Use special wardrobe boxes or garment bags to hang items.
- Hang items on non-rusting hangers.
- Dresser drawers can be used to save space for storing smaller items.
- If storing wool items, use cedar chips and/or mothballs to prevent moth damage.
On-site storage with PODS
(Remember PODS Containers may be kept on-site at your location, or in one of our Storage Centers)
- If storing your container in a deed-restricted community, review your home-owner association's guidelines for container placement.
- When storing your container on a street, please remember to adhere to local ordinances.
For more information on available packing supplies, please visit podsboxes.com. If you have any questions about storage organization ideas Contact Us at PODS today!