Cross-Country Moving Checklist Made Easy with PODS
A cross country move can be very stressful. For cross-country moving, planning and preparation are keys to a successful move and on average starts about eight weeks prior to your scheduled move date. Here’s a cross-country moving checklist to help you better plan and prepare for your move:
Cross-Country Moving Checklist
- You’ll want to make sure you have your PODS moving container scheduled to arrive a few days, weeks, or a month before the day you’d like the containers picked up, to ensure you have enough time to pack. PODS® containers can be kept as long as needed, allowing you to pack at your pace and on your schedule. And with PODS you won’t need to worry about creating a “supplemental charge” budget for your move, as you’ll know the cost of your move upfront.
- Before moving cross-country, make sure to obtain copies of your personal records and ask for referrals for your new residence.
- About six weeks before your cross country move date, you’ll want to start organizing and packing your belongings. Make sure to label all of your moving boxes as you pack them to make the unpacking process much smoother. If you determine you need additional PODS containers for your move, call us and we’ll bring you additional container(s).
- Track down all of your important papers, such as auto registration, passport, birth certificate, insurance policies, etc. You will want to carry these and any small valuables with you.
- If your employer has offered to pay for your relocation, this is the time to figure out which expenses and responsibilities are yours and which are theirs. If they are reimbursing you after the fact, you will need to make sure to save all of your receipts and documentation. If you are paying for some or all of your relocation yourself, consult the IRS or your personal accountant to figure out which expenses might be tax deductible.
- Four weeks prior to your move, you’ll want to arrange to have your utilities (gas, electric, water, cable) turned off or transferred.
- If you are renting, four weeks prior to your cross country move would also be a good time to start cleaning as you pack so that you don't have such an overwhelming task when moving day comes around. Remember, if you want to get your full deposit back, you will need to clean things like vents and behind appliances such as the fridge and stove.
- About two weeks prior to cross-country moves, you’ll want to fill out a change of address form, which is available at the Post Office, or by visiting: https://moversguide.usps.com
- Now is a good time to start transferring bank accounts.
- If you plan to drive your car across the country, it may be a good time to have your car serviced.
- One week before the move is a good time to cancel any local memberships and drain gas and oil from equipment like lawn mowers and snow blowers.
- With just two or three days left before your cross-country move, you’ll want to finalize packing your PODS® container. You should receive an automated call from PODS informing you of your estimated pick up time.
Unlike other cross-country moving companies, PODS provides you with the storage unit and will move your belongings for you. When your PODS container arrives safe and sound at your new home, you have the luxury of unpacking your belongings at your own pace.
Call us today and learn more about our cross-country moving service.